My Girls' Hummus
I never considered myself a true lover of hummus....... until now. After trying a few store-bought varieties that I could take or leave, I didn't have a strong feeling one way or the other about hummus.
That was until I put together a very simple, kid-friendly recipe with my girls. Thanks to these two very special ladies in my life I have a whole new love for hummus. Now I can not get enough of this healthy and delicious dish! The best part is that neither can my kids!
After seeing something on TV that suggested hummus was a healthy snack, my girls asked to make some themselves! They love to cook and we had so much fun putting this together. After a few tries, we figured out a simple and truly delicious hummus recipe that we love and want to share with you! We hope you and your little ones make this and enjoy!
My Girls' Hummus
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
- 2 15 ounce cans of chick peas, drained and liquid reserved
- juice from half a lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used Himalayan Pink salt)
Put all ingredients except for the reserved liquid from the chickpeas into the blender.
- Begin blending ingredients and slowly add in some of the reserved liquid until the hummus is of a desired consistency.
- Add in your own flavors like roasted red peppers or jalapeños. (optional)
- Garnish with paprika.
- Place hummus in a bowl and enjoy with all of your favorite cut veggies or traditional pita!
- I found that if I want a plate of raw veggies to disappear very quickly, I just need to put out a bowl of the Girls' Hummus next to it! If you give it a try I would LOVE to hear how it goes!
Just a few notes about the ingredients:
- I recommend high quality olive oil since much of the flavor is derived form the oil.
- I always recommend using organic ingredients when possible.
- If using canned beans, use beans that come in BPA free lined cans.