Quinoa has become a really popular alternative grain to use when looking for easy to use healthy options. And why not? (Ok, it is not really a grain but rather a seed or a "pseudo-cereal... but you can go ahead and treat it like a grain.)
Quinoa is loaded with nutrients. When you include quinoa in a meal, you know you are getting:
- Protein (a COMPLETE protein with all essential amino acids)
- Fiber (more than almost any other whole grain)
Not only that but quinoa is full of antioxidants that go after any trouble makers (aka disease causing) free radicals in our bodies. Quinoa is gluten free so anyone with a gluten intolerance can still include quinoa in their diet.
Quinoa is easy to add into your diet. When I first starting incorporating it, I simply used it in place of rice. If you are just starting to cook with quinoa or if you have been using it and just need a quick and easy recipe, this one I am sharing with you is perfect. You can use this dish anyway that works best for you:
- as a side or main dish for dinner
- as part of a healthy lunch box for the kids or yourself
- add a scoop to your favorite green salad
Remember to use your KIDS' favorite vegetables to make sure this recipe is kid-approved!
Simple Veggie Quinoa
4-6 cups of your favorite chopped veggies (onions, garlic, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, carrot, celery, broccoli, greens, to name a few. Use whatever you like best!)
coconut oil for cooking
2 cups of water
1 piece of Kombu seaweed (optional)
1 cup of quinoa, rinsed
Additional seasoning like coconut aminos or any other you like!
- In a saucepan with 2 cups of water, sprinkle tumeric, garlic powder and salt across the top. Add one pice of Kombu and 1 cup of quinoa.
- Bring the saucepan to a boil. Then cover and reduce heat for a simmer.
- Allow quinoa to simmer for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat coconut oil in a pan. Add your favorite chopped veggies and cook. Allow veggies to soften to desired texture.
- When quinoa is finished the water will be mostly absorbed and fluffy. Remove the kombu. It can be chopped and added to your final dish or discarded. Your call.
- Combine the quinoa and the veggies. Season it up with coconut aminos, salt, pepper or anything else you like!