February usually makes us think of chocolate covered strawberries and little red hearts. It is the month we focus on our sweethearts and telling our nearest and dearest how much we love them.
But this month, I want to add something new for us to focus on: Self Love.
In addition to celebrating those people in our lives that we love and adore, let's focus some of that sweetness and attention on ourselves this month. It can be really simple, it is healthy and we deserve it!
There are so many ways to practice self love. Some of my favorite ways are quiet practices that often happen when I can steal a few minutes alone: a walk, dry brushing,gratitude journaling, early morning stretching, even a healthy and mindful lunch that I can enjoy on my own (a rare feat!). And there is another favorite that I love to recommend to busy moms, an epsom salt bath.
I know, I know, who has the time, right? But, from one busy mom to another, you can make it happen. In our online community, The Real Moms Collaborative, I shared some of these very simple steps to make sure that enjoying an epsom salt bath is more than a "wouldn't that be nice"- fantasy:
- Actually schedule it on your calendar. Yes, I mean pick a day and a time. Early morning before the kids get up might work or after the family settles in for the night can also be a good time.
- Take some time to buy your epsom salt. You can head to your local pharmacy for some or hit up a specialty store that will have some fancier mixes that include essential oils, flowers or other things to enhance your bath.
- Follow through. We so often put our own self care and self love practices on the back burner because of busy schedules and feelings of overwhelm. Commit to this one practice and you will be so happy you did.
There are many ways to practice self love, so why did I choose to highlight the epsom salt bath?
There are a bunch of reasons but one of the most compelling reasons for busy moms.... it is a stress reliever! Not only am I one myself but also as someone who works exclusively with busy moms, I have never met one who didn't have stress to spare.
So, not only will finding time for this act of self love reduce your stress level, expect these health benefits as well:
- Pain and inflammation reduction
- Elimination of toxins
- Boost in magnesium levels, something essential for overall good health
- Improvement in blood sugar levels
- Support for heart and circulatory health
- Improvement in the absorption of nutrients
Oh! And a few minutes of quiet time to yourself! Win!
So what do you say? Are you convinced this is an excellent way for you to love yourself up this week? Make time for an epsom salt bath this week and celebrate taking time out for YOU this week. Share with us in the Real Moms Collaborative!