I meet a lot of busy moms.
I really can't tell you how often I have talks with moms who say things like, "It would be great if my kids would eat more veggies, BUT they already have some bad habits. Kind of too late, right?"
Moms often tell me a bit about their family lifestyle, sometimes with a lot of, "I know, I know, its bad!" (even though I promise, I am never judging) and then finally they ask what they really, truly want to know, "It is not too late to be a healthier family, right?"
I know that sometimes the work it takes to create new healthy habits for yourself, your kids and maybe even your partner seems intimidating but it can be done.
SO OF COURSE IT IS NOT TOO LATE!
People make changes all the time. They make changes that can last the rest of their lives if they want them too. This includes children, who in my experience, are some of the most adaptable humans in the world. We can all change.
I, myself, haven't always been "super healthy mommy health coach lady". (Have you read my story? You can check it out here.) And if I can change, and continue to change (because, Honey, this is a journey, not a destination) then anyone can. Yes, even WHOLE FAMILIES!
One thing to consider is your approach. You know your family best so I am not going to give you a script to use or anything like that. I will tell you what approach almost never works: that is the family meeting where you announce that you are completely overhauling all of their meals, habits, and creature comforts forever!
Don't do that.
Here is what you should do:
1. Read this list of 40 things you can do to have a healthier family right now (or at least in the very near future). There are 1,000's of ways to be healthier so don't stop with just this list. However it is a great place to start!
2. Pick one, two, but no more than three things from this list to focus on this week.
3. Get some accountability to keep you focused. This is a game changer so please don't skip this step. Accountability matters. Can I do that for you? Oh hell yes. As a holisitc health coach it is my life's work and I am passionate about it. I love this work so much I give away free breakthrough sessions. Yes I do!
But hear me when I say it does not have to be me. It can be your sister, your gym partner, even another health coach! If you want healthy changes that stick, you have to have accountability. Get some.
Now for the list...
How to Have a Healthier Family Right Now
- Add an extra veggie to tonight's dinner.
- Try a riced veggie with a meal this week.
- Go meatless on Meatless Monday.
- Try water instead of juice or soda.
- Include one extra salad in a meal this week.
- Try a new healthy recipe.
- Swap out a sugary cereal for steel cut oats.
- Have fruit for snacks this week.
- Add a new color to your lunch/lunchbox. (purple grapes, green beans, red raspberries?)
- Take something you normally buy from the supermarket and make it from scratch at home. (Hummus, salsa, salad dressing?)
- Add a veggie to breakfast.
- Swap a cup of coffee for green tea instead.
- Start filling at least half of any plate with veggies.
- Make your own trail mix.
- Try making your own bone broth.
- Go on a walk after dinner even if it is chilly.
- Walk or bike to school.
- Play outside before starting homework.
- Say a family mantra in the morning.
- Try a new family activity like rock climbing, kayaking, or camping.
- Include a multivitamin for everyone in your home, even you, Mom.
- Cook together.
- Make your own green juice.
- Turn off the tech and read together.
- Declutter and create space.
- Add green plants that help detoxify your home.
- Model self care.
- Practice yoga together in the morning or evening.
- Try kombucha.
- Visit a farm and connect to where food comes from.
- Reward the kiddos with something other than food.
- Spend more time outdoors.
- Plant a garden.
- Talk about the nutrients in food and why you need them.
- Go to bed earlier.
- Wake up earlier.
- Create a healthy meal plan as a family.
- Pack snacks when out on adventures.
- Celebrate every healthy victory!
Remember, you are not tackling all of this. You are picking 1, 2 , or 3 things that you can manage this week. Next week, add something else!
If you want to make things even easier, join our amazing email community right now. There is really no reason to do this alone. You can do this.