Next Day Kasha
This month in the Real Moms' Inner Circle we have been focusing on the The Busy Mom's Healthy Pantry and with good reason. The healthier our pantries, the healthier our food options, the better we will eat. You have heard it before, right? Keep good food at home and you will eat good food.
Your healthy pantry might include whole grains. Whole grains provide a ton of nutrients including fiber, protein and more. The choices of whole grains are many and one that I will highlight in this post is kasha.
Kasha, which is toasted buckwheat, is good anytime of the year but I always associate it with winter because it is such a hearty, belly-filling type of grain. Kasha is super nutritious, it can help you maintain healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It is not only full of fiber and protein, but also vitamin K and the B-complex vitamins.
Kasha is also a gluten-free grain.
When cooking grains I always recommend cooking more than you need and I recommend the same with kasha. Then you will have some on reserve for a quick dish later in the week OR, as I will show you here, a hearty and healthy breakfast the next day!
NEXT DAY KASHA
- 1 cup of leftover kasha
- about 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1/8 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/8 cup raisins
- 1/8 cup dried cherries or any other dried fruit
- 1/8 cup of chopped apples
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons of high quality maple syrup
1. Add all ingredients to a pot and heat thoroughly on low heat.
2. Transfer the kasha to a bowl and add your favorite topping. I used more chopped apples and cinnamon. Other choices could be chopped almonds, seeds, blueberries,...really the options are endless.
2. Enjoy and then go have an awesome day.
Here is a BONUS!
Kids love to pick their own ingredients, add their own toppings and be involved with a simple dish like this. When they get to be hands on, they are more likely to try new things!
I hope this easy recipe is one more easy step in a healthy direction for you and your family! Enjoy!
Thank you so much for reading!